Free content updates were promised from 343 Studios before the release of Halo 5: Guardians and the studio has delivered on them quite frequently since the game released at the tale end of October last year.
Hammer Storm marks the fourth release of free DLC content for Halo 5, which will bring back the fan-favorite Griffball, a gameplay variant reminiscent of soccer, but you know, with the addition of Gravity Hammers and Energy Swords. In total Halo 5 has seen 11 new maps, 12 new modes (including Big Team Battle and Forge) and more than 180 new REQ items – all completely free.
Hammer Storm includes the following:
- New game modes: Grifball, Assault and Fiesta. From the hammer-meets-sword sports sensation of Grifball, and weapon-roulette hilarity of Fiesta, to the fan-favorite Assault game type that’s been fully evolved for Halo 5: Guardians, Hammer Storm brings a brand new game mode to fit every flavor of Halo fan.
- New map Torque. An entirely new environment primed for battle, Torque is a large symmetrical map that caters to Capture the Flag and Assault game modes. The pistons in each courtyard can provide key gameplay for cover, traversal, and objective movement.
- New weapons change the game. The Gravity Hammer provides the proper tool for smashing enemies, and the Halo: CE Pistol brings back a legacy of single handed death-dealing. Be sure to watch for the classic headshot death animation when you deliver the killing blow!
- New REQ items. Hammer Storm contains a myriad of new REQs, including attachments for loadout weapons, weapon skins, armors, emblems, assassinations, visors, and stances.
- New possibilities with Forge. The new “ball” mechanic that powers the Assault and Grifball modes unlocks the potential for entirely new game types in Forge mode, not to mention paving the way for returning favorites like Oddball and Ricochet.
Along side the release of Hammer Storm, 343 announced that they have been listening to the fans and are currently working on Warzone Firefight, a new Firefight mode that was first seen in Halo 3: ODST. Warzone Firefight will release later in 2016.