Fans of Netflix’s Lost in Space were treated to a number of select scenes as well as the new teaser trailer for the upcoming season at New York Comic-Con this past weekend. In attendance were showrunner Zack Estrin and cast members Molly Parker (Maureen Robinson), Maxwell Jenkins (Will Robinson), Mina Sundwall (Penny Robinson), Taylor Russell (Judy Robinson), Ignacio Serricchio (Don West), and Parker Posey (June Harris/Dr. Smith).
First and foremost, it was revealed at the panel that the much awaited sophomore season would arrive on Netflix this coming December 24 to the delight of audiences in attendance. In addition, here are nine other important things were learned.
- Season two starts seven months after the end of season one. We pick up with the group as a family again and this season is very much about growing up.
- The Robot is a fierce protector, but this season he will be something completely different. The Robot and Will take very different paths this season.
- The Jupiter will turn into a sailboat at some point.
- JJ Feild joins the cast as Ben Adler, chief of advanced systems and artificial intelligence. He’s an academic contemporary of Maureen but has a lot in common with Will and the two become allies of sorts.
- Dr. Smith and Maureen are the two sides of the same coin and they become much closer this season.
- There are new aliens called Scarecrows.
- Eventually the series will explore who created the robots and their origins.
- Scope of season two is much larger with more creatures, planets, and bigger dangers.
- More of the original Lost in Space cast will be appearing on the show.
Have a look at the first teaser trailer as well:
More on Lost in Space season two:
There’s more danger — and adventure — ahead for the Robinson family! With the Jupiter 2 stranded on a mysterious ocean planet without their beloved Robot, the Robinsons must work together, alongside the mischievous and manipulative Dr. Smith and the always charming Don West, to make it back to the Resolute and reunite with the other colonists. But they quickly find all is not as it seems. A series of incredible new threats and unexpected discoveries emerge as they look for the key to finding Robot and safe passage to Alpha Centauri. They will stop at nothing to keep their family safe… survival is a Robinson specialty after all.
The Netflix original series is produced by Legendary Television.
Lost in Space stars Toby Stephens, Molly Parker, Maxwell Jenkins, Mina Sundwall, Taylor Russell, Ignacio Serricchio and Parker Posey. Zack Estrin (showrunner), Kevin Burns, Jon Jashni, Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless serve as executive producers.