ABC Family’s (soon to be Freeform) Shadowhunters made a big splash at New York Comic Con as cast and creators took to the Empire Stage. The panel unveiled a new six-minute clip that showed Clary’s first encounter with the Nephilim at the Pandemonium club.
Panel-goers got to see all their favorite characters: Clary, Simon, Isabelle, Alec, Jace, and Magnus interact on screen at last! The fight sequence between the Shadowhunters and the demons was well executed and the seraph blades looked badass. Notably, Isabelle was sexy and lethal (fun fact: Emeraude Toubia did all her own whip stunts!), Jace was snarky and dangerous, and Magnus was fierce and calculating.
The Workprint caught up with McG, Ed Decter, Cassandra Clare and cast members Katherine McNamara, Dominic Sherwood, Harry Shum Jr., Alberto Rosende, Emeraude Toubia, Isaiah Mustafa, and Matthew Daddario to talk all things Shadowhunters and what’s in store for fans in the show’s first season, which premieres January 12, 2016.
Here’s the most interesting bits we discovered:
- The first season is going to take a little bit from all the books, not just City of Bones
- The TV series is also going to places that wasn’t seen in the books or the film
- Simon and Izzy’s first meeting with be interesting because it takes place where boys aren’t supposed to be (girl’s bathroom?)
- Izzy will cook for Simon! But it will not go well.
- We will see a lot of focus on family relationships, Izzy’s relationship with Maryse will be different from the books and we’ll see Simon’s mom early in the season
- We will see some interesting interactions between Alec, Magnus, and Camille
- Jace will play with his stele a lot as a nervous tick and actor Dominic Sherwood has broken 13 of them on set
- The way runes are used on the show, at first they are like wounds (which they use prosthetics for) and then eventually they fade
- The season will cover more than just City of Bones and explore more characters including Meliorn
- Fans will bond with the actors and we will see interesting dynamics between the characters
- Jace and Alec will have an intense storyline in season one
- We will see Luke’s history early on and we’ll see him from a young man to the detective he is in the present. Ed Decter says that we should especially pay attention to episode 6 for this.
- Episodes 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 will get very intense, passionate, and romantic
- According to Ed Decter the cast got a lot more ripped after seeing Isaiah Mustafa working out
- Katherine McNamara is the fastest runner amongst the cast
The entire cast had great chemistry and they were very excited to share what they could about the show. Rosende and Toubia in particular were adorable and I was already imagining future Sizzy scenes in my head.
Based on The Mortal Instruments series by Clare, Shadowhunters is set to air on ABC Family/Freeform on January 12, 2016. Decter promises that it’s going to be sexy, dark, romantic, mysterious and exciting. We can’t wait!
Check out the teaser trailer: