The acclaimed writer, author, and comics legend launches an anthology… from his hospital bed.
Known for his runs on The Incredible Hulk, Aquaman, Supergirl, and so many others – including the creation of Spider-Man 2099 and the Nickelodeon TV show: “Space Cases” – writer, author, Eisner and GLAAD winner, Peter David has had the kind of writing career that most writers would aspire to achieve.
So why is it, that despite being sick and needing to recover his kidney health (he is recovering fine from last that was told to the public), why in his right mind, would he help release a book anthology? A 410 pages long tome of a series that comes with numerous stories – including one that he has written – on both paperback and digital and in some cases, autographed copies?
Well, it has to do with Farpoint. The following is David’s response, taken from ‘The Fans Are Buried Tales’ Kickstarter description:
“The Fans Are Buried Tales”
“Most people, when they embark on putting together an anthology, launch a Kickstarter program ahead of time.
I don’t like doing that. I have a problem with asking for people to donate to something that they don’t know what they’re going to get. And since I was doing a pretty broad, sweeping solicit, open to the types of folks who typically don’t get approached for such undertakings, I had no idea what I was going to get.
Who knew that there was so much talent out there? Most of the Crazy 8 Press authors contributed, sure, but we received a murderers row of contributions from fans and pros alike.
What was the premise of the anthology?
Nineteen years ago the attendees of a Star Trek convention called Farpoint got snowed in by a massive unexpected storm. For several days after the expected end of the con, Erin Gray led yoga classes in the lobby, Armin Shimerman conducted acting seminars, and everyone found ways to kill time.
Meanwhile, centuries ago, Geoffrey Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales in which a group of pilgrims exchanged stories of their lives on their way to visit the shrine of Sir Thomas Becket at Canterbury Cathedral.
I decided to combine the two, and created the concept of a large, general SF convention in which the attendees are snowed in and wind up exchanging stories of their characters/genres in the hotel bar.
I was flooded with submissions, more than I had money to pay. But I figured, no problem— the copies that I would sell or take orders for at the Farpoint Convention would enable me to pay off everyone.
But now, Crazy 8 Press has just learned that this year Farpoint will not be requiring attendees to present proof of either vaccination or negative test results, which to our mind makes attending the convention too hazardous. Despite the title, we don’t want fans buried permanently.
So… we’re doing a fairly straightforward Kickstarter here, selling copies here that would normally be selling at the show. All the money raised will go to pay the authors.”
Who Is Featured In The Fans Are Buried Tales?
- THE GREAT BRITISH DETECTIVE’S TALE By Aaron Rosenberg
- THE HOUSE STARK FAN’S TALE By Robert Greenberger
- THE BASEBALL FAN’S TALE By Michael Jan Friedman
- THE SPACE OPERA FAN’S TALE By Mary Fan
- THE FANTASY WESTERN FAN’S TALE By Jo Duffy
- THE AMAZON’S TALE By Rigel Ailur
- THE CONSPIRACY THEORIST’S TALE By Ian Randal Strock
- THE OLD TOWNIE’S TALE By Patrick Storck
- THE BOUNTY HUNTER’S TALE By Susan Hillwig
- THE PARLIAMENTARIAN FAN’S/OWL’S TALE By Brenda Huettner
- THE DADAIST’S TALE By Robert Jeschonek
- THE H.P. LOVECRAFT FAN’S TALE By C.J. Espinoza
- THE FILMATION FAN’S TALE By Paige Daniels
- THE QUEER SF DETECTIVE’S TALE By D.M. Rasch
- THE FANTASY FOOTBALL FAN’S TALE By Eugene Ramos
- THE SAM BECKETT FAN’S TALE By Steve Nagy
- THE GROGNARD’S TALE By Ian Harac
- THE ANIMATED MYSTERY FAN’S TALE By Rande Goodwin
- THE PULP FICTION FAN’S TALE By Martin A. Perez
- THE PRO’S TALE By John Trumbull
- THE CAPED CRUSADER’S TALE
By Christopher J. Valin and Steve Beaulieu
- THE GHOST’S TALE By John J. X. Cihon
- THE SPACE OPERA FAN’S TALE By “Uncle” Wes Nicholson
- THE FOUR HORSEMEN FAN’S TALE By Raphael Sutton
- THE EYE OF ARGON FAN’S TALE By Laura VanArendonk Baugh
- THE PRINCESS’S TALE By Susan Stanelow Olesen
- THE CYCLIST’S TALE By R.P. Steeves
- THE CARPET’S TALE By Keith R. A. DeCandido
- THE RED RANGER’S TALE By Isaac Sher
- THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST FAN’S TALE By Denise Sutton
- SANTA’S TALE By Andy Allard
- THE ZOMBIE FAN’S TALE By Glen Cadigan
- THE MASH-UP FAN’S TALE By John Peel
- THE BRITISH INVASION FAN’S TALE By James Ryan
- THE SUPER-VILLAIN FAN’S TALE By Josh Pritchett
- THE PARALLEL LIVES FAN’S TALE By Steven L. Rosenhaus
- THE CAPER FILM FAN’S TALE By Bev Vincent
- THE ROBIN HOOD FAN’S TALE By Peter David
There are also numerous covers designed by Glenn Hauman. Those supporting the Kickstarter will also be able to buy some leftover comics from Peter’s stash – with a certificate of authenticity that they were his. For more details, and if you’d like to help contribute, check out the Kickstarter page. For more details about Peter’s health/kidney failure, check out Peter David’s Facebook page.