Last night, Runaways had an exclusive screening of the series pilot at NYCC 2017. I think it’s safe to say that I have never been more excited for an upcoming new series than I am for Marvel’s Runaways. While I am fairly new to comic books, Runaways is by far my favorite comic book series. On top of that, creators Josh Schwartz (The OC, Chuck) and Stephanie Savage (Gossip Girl) are at the helm of the series. But, like with most adaptations, tweaks must be made to make a story work from one medium to another. Here are a few changes that hardcore Runaway fans should expect in the upcoming series:
- You will see the Runaways in high school. While this may sound antithetical to the series title, the series does show the main characters in their natural teen habitat, High School. The question of how LONG they stay in school has yet to be answered, but for at least one episode, lockers and homework will be thrown into the teen angst mix.
- Instead of Molly being the young naive member with protective parents, she will be Gertrude’s adoptive sister. After Molly’s parents passed away in a house fire, Gertrude’s parents adopt her. Not only does this mean that there is one less parental unit in The Pride, but it also presents a potential storyline of Molly searching for her parents after learning she is a mutant.
- Speaking of siblings, Nico is not an only child.
- Karolina’s parents are not actors in the TV adaptation of Runaways, instead they are leaders of a cult like religion that praises Gibborim
- The series will invest time and plot into the stories of The Pride, looking into the parent’s point of view. While the pilot focuses on the Runaways story of how they reconnect to learn the truth about their parents, the second episode retells that same day from the parent’s point of view.
While there are some changes, many of your favorite things will stay the same. Alex is still the leader of the gang, Karolina still gets all sparkly without her bracelet, and Old Lace will still be around.
Marvel’s Runaways airs on Hulu on November 21!