Awesome, Awesome, Awesomenauts!
Awesomenauts, the quirky 2D MOBA platformer from Ronimo Games, is set to release a major update today on Steam. Originally released in 2012, Awesomenauts has given its players several new characters, maps, and expansions. With the free update today, they are gifting players even more goodies in preparation for the shift to free-to-play.
- A completely overhauled tutorial and beginner experience to help make the game more accessible. Though the game has always been fairly easy to pick up and play, the MOBA genre is inherently challenging to get into because of the highly competitive matches.
- A new progression system allows players to level up both their profile as well as each of their characters. Both will unlock their own unique rewards such as currency bonuses, portraits, character items, and portraits. This way you’re never far removed from the next reward.
- A new currency called Awesomepoints, which can be earned by playing matchmade games. These games can be either against other players or through the new ‘co-op vs bots’ mode. Awesomepoints can be used to unlock playable characters, profile portraits, and the new drop pods.
- This update also introduces medals to the game. These are unlocked by reaching various milestones in the game and can be used to show off the achievements a player is most proud of. All of the new customization options can be unlocked either by completing milestones in-game, or purchasing them with in-game currency.
- Real money will still be the only way to buy character skins, but can now also be used to buy individual playable characters and drop pods. Players will also be able to buy all current and future characters through the ‘Awesomenauts All Nauts Pack’. On top of all the characters, owners of the Pack will be granted the ‘Collector’ status, giving them an exclusive medal and skin.
Anyone who purchased Awesomenauts prior to this update has been granted “Founder” status in the game, along with a shiny new medal. Players who own Awesomenauts and both of its expansions, Starstorm and Overdrive, will automatically be upgraded to the new “Awesomenauts All Nauts Pack,” which gives them access to all playable characters for free, forever.
Despite the move into a “live beta,” previous players don’t have to worry about losing content during the transition. From now until the release of the free-to-play version of the game on May 24th, players will be invited to the live beta through the use of beta keys and can sign up to do so here. Those who are accepted into the beta will be granted “Vanguard” status, so make sure you sign up early!