Nowadays, Assassin’s Creed has become more akin to Call of Duty; Ubisoft puts out a sequel almost yearly and it’s anyone’s guess if the game will be a success or not. The latest incarnation is Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, announced earlier today, is to be set in Victorian England. You can watch the announcement below, starting at around the 14-minute mark.
If you don’t want to sit through the video, here are the big items discussed:
- Battle is more of a brawl, with added hand-to-hand combat weapons, and faster response times.
- Carriages and traffic have been implemented, to add a more dynamic way or travel (or way of fighting). You can kill someone on top of a train or you can recklessly race a carriage down London streets. Grand Theft Carriage, it seems.
- A button to instantly activate stealth mode.
- New gadgets and weapons: rope launcher to quickly reach the tops of building; hallucinogenic darts to turn enemies against one another
- Ability to use the environment to take out enemies, such as cutting down barrels to fall on a guard’s head.
- Your characters, siblings Evie and Jacob, fight for control of London slums, to gain domination for your gang while taking out rivals.
- No Multiplayer mode.
It seems you will be able to play as female character Evie, likely as an attempt to quell frustrations about the lack of female characters in Assassin’s Creed games. However, according to rumors, the time split between Evie and Jacob is thought to be around 25% and 75%, respectively. Why they can’t have the player choose one or the other is beyond me, but I can’t imagine this will calm upset gamers. That aside, Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate looks to be a fun addition to the Ubisoft franchise.
Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate is expected to be released Fall of 2015.